This blog has moved

This blog has re-located to Chester

Friday 22 October 2010

1951 and 2009

4505981981_ddeb507839_o[1]

This is a picture of a 1951 Raleigh DL-1 I found as part of a set here.  The set is very good and really shows off the bike at its best.  I was amazed to see how similar the 1951 version is to mine (especially with those Delta Cruisers).  The main differences are the rod-actualted stirrup brakes it has rather than the rod-actuated drum brakes mine came with.

IMAG0369%5B5%5D[1]

Here is my 2009 DL-1 for comparison.  It is nice to see that with the DL-1 not a huge amount has changed in 58 years.

2 comments:

  1. Not a huge amount at all, and all the better for it :>)

    Somehow, I imagine you prefer your drum brakes when rolling along at 30!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ian

    Those old rod brakes on steel rims are incredibly poor. I suppose in 1951 there would have been less of a need for frequent emergency stops though.

    ReplyDelete

This blog has moved to Chester. All the old posts can be found at Chester Cycling where I invite you to continue the discussion instead

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.